Hillhead

Wherenext replied on 17/05/2024 16:16

Posted on 17/05/2024 16:16

I wonder how sympathetic the club will be to any members cancelling within the 21 day full refund cut off? 

This would seem to an exceptional circumstance.

As a separate issue I think there is so much that is wrong with the way we allow our essential service companies to either be owned by a foreign enterprise or run on a profit first basis. I don't think any Regulator of these services, be it water or energy etc. have any teeth at all. Their remits and power are too diluted.

You're right Ttda, Welsh Water is a not for profit organisation. 

LLM replied on 17/05/2024 17:40

Posted on 17/05/2024 15:08 by GT60

The following has now been added to the club before you travel section  (but would probably only be viewed by most members a day or two before travel) 

"There is currently an outbreak of Cryptosporidium in the Brixham area. The Hillhead site is open as usual and the site team is following guidelines from South West Water. For more information please following the link to South West Water Information."

Sadly there is no link to follow !

Posted on 17/05/2024 17:40

The Hillhead site is open as usual and the site team is following guidelines from South West Water.

Sounds like a cop out to me.  "Sorry you became ill but we did as SWW said".

I would hope that as a minimum Hillhead has shut the showers, turned off the water supplies, and told everyone to only use bottled water.  I feel sorry for those who have already contaminated their containers and van systems.  

nelliethehooker replied on 17/05/2024 20:31

Posted on 17/05/2024 20:31

I wonder what would happen if someone who was staying on the site fell ill following their stay there. Surely they would be able to sue the club because of it's duty of care for those staying on the site.

Takethedogalong replied on 18/05/2024 12:20

Posted on 17/05/2024 15:01 by eurortraveller

We are in a deep valley on the edge of the moor and most of the scattered farms and houses  here get water via private supplies piped in from springs and streams high on the hill.There are cattle, sheep, and ponies on the moor, and deer, badgers and foxes  in the belt of woodland below, so the possibilities of polluted water from those private supplies are wide open, but it hasn’t happened in the 42 years we have lived here. Or perhaps we have become immune.

Posted on 18/05/2024 12:20

We regularly use a cottage on Dartmoor that uses piped spring water, and it’s never been an issue. I believe it doesn’t come to the surface, but is piped direct from the underground spring.
One very hot Summer, (the whole Moor was parched) springs were drying up, and farms, properties were busy having deeper bore holes drilled. We arrived to find a very worried cottage owner, who had to tell us we might be a bit limited on water usage, but they had got a big tank on-site, and could we manage? All part of holidaying somewhere different for us, we didn’t bat an eyelid, but someone else had kicked up a bit of a fuss. He’d no warning of when bore hole was to be drilled, so couldn’t pre warn us. It was just one half day as it happened, not a worry.

But this is different. Different type of supply, thousands affected, and terrible initial communications.

I am getting heartily sick of hearing big companies, MP’s, high earning CEO’s, those in positions of power using the word “sorry”. It’s becoming meaningless, debased. Not good enough. 😡

Tinwheeler replied on 18/05/2024 12:30

Posted on 18/05/2024 12:30

"I am getting heartily sick of hearing big companies, MP’s, high earning CEO’s, those in positions of power using the word “sorry”. It’s becoming meaningless, debased. Not good enough."

Don’t forget "we are working very hard" as well. Another meaningless phrase🙄.

DEBSC replied on 18/05/2024 12:37

Posted on 17/05/2024 16:16 by Wherenext

I wonder how sympathetic the club will be to any members cancelling within the 21 day full refund cut off? 

This would seem to an exceptional circumstance.

As a separate issue I think there is so much that is wrong with the way we allow our essential service companies to either be owned by a foreign enterprise or run on a profit first basis. I don't think any Regulator of these services, be it water or energy etc. have any teeth at all. Their remits and power are too diluted.

You're right Ttda, Welsh Water is a not for profit organisation. 

Posted on 18/05/2024 12:37

I agree WN. Nobody should be allowed to make money out of supplying water. I expect the CEO and the shareholders will still get their payout. SWW are a disgrace and I expect many others aren’t far behind. Although I admit SWW make it very easy for me to pay our bill!

joanie replied on 27/05/2024 20:36

Posted on 27/05/2024 20:36

we were at Hillhead site when all this started. The team there were operating like when the covid crisis was apon us, doing extra cleaning. They were also delivering 2 bottles of water to each van and advising us to boil our water. So please don't blame the team there they were working with what they had.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/05/2024 21:17

Posted on 27/05/2024 21:17

I don’t think anyone blames the site team for anything, Joanie, but CAMC should have alerted people with bookings without needing to be prompted.

Apparently, the Hillhead reservoir is still not completely clear of the bug.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook